Tuesday, April 26, 2016

UK: Labour MP steps down as private secretary after Facebook posts about Israel and Jews



According to Labour MP Naz Shah, Jews the cause for all problems in the Middle East and have more rights to the lands colonized by Europeans in the Americas than they do to their own homeland in the Land of Israel.

Photo: Ynet




Via Jewish Chronicle:
Labour MP Naz Shah has stepped down as private secretary to Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell after a series of social media posts she made about Jews and Israel were revealed.

The Bradford West MP, who defeated George Galloway in last year’s general election, backed the spending of “transportation costs” to move Israelis out of the Middle East.

In a statement Ms Shah said: "I deeply regret the hurt I have caused by comments made on social media before I was elected as an MP.

"I made these posts at the height of the Gaza conflict in 2014, when emotions were running high around the Middle East conflict. But that is no excuse for the offence I have given, for which I unreservedly apologise.

"In recognition of that offence, I have stepped down from my role as PPS to the shadow chancellor John McDonnell.

"I will be seeking to expand my existing engagement and dialogue with Jewish community organisations and will be stepping up my efforts to combat all forms of racism, including antisemitism."

The Guido Fawkes website revealed Ms Shah had shared a highly offensive graphic arguing in favour of the inflammatory “transportation” policy two years ago, during the summer before her election.

The JC also revealed that in August 2014, Ms Shah also posted a tweet with a link to a blog which claimed Zionism had been used to "groom" Jews to "exert political influence at the highest levels of public office".

In July 2014, at the height of the Gaza conflict, Ms Shah posted a link on Facebook to a newspaper poll asking whether Israel had committed war crimes.

She wrote: "The Jews are rallying to the poll." She then called on people to vote "yes".

In a post in September that year she appeared to liken Israel’s policies to those of Hitler.

Ms Shah claimed her views on Israel have moderated over the last two years.
In a statement issued by Labour, she said: "This post from two years ago was made before I was an MP, does not reflect my views and I apologise for any offence it has caused."
read more

No comments :

Post a Comment